Thursday, April 4, 2013

Breakfast is a time...not a specific food!

Ok...so I'm going to hop on a little soapbox here... fair warning!

Egg.  Yummy - anytime of the day.  If I want to eat some egg....that does not mean I'm having breakfast.  Chopped egg on my salad? Yes, please!  Fried Egg Sandwich from Whataburger? YUMMY! Yes, please! Available anytime at any location I've ever visited - although they stop serving "breakfast" at 11am.  Egg can be eaten tons of ways at any time of day!

Breakfast is something you eat when you first wake up.  Whether you are a night owl or have a more conventional schedule - when you drag your groggy hiney from those sheets - it is time for some breakfast.  This is why Waffle House and IHOP stay open 24 hours - because "breakfast time" is different for everyone!  Egg doesn't decide breakfast time - your schedule does!

With that being said, I do understand that there are many restaurants that stop serving their breakfast items around 10:30 or 11:00 am and most doughnut shops are closed by noon.  I get it.  The majority of the world has breakfast between 5:00 and 11:00 am.  So if an eatery decides to take the breakfast items off of the menu during certain hours to open up kitchen space for the rest of the menu, I can totally respect that.

However, today I was a little irritated by a local Subway Fast Food Restaurant.  It has been a long (and eventful) day of sales and lunch and stuff and stuff.  Not to mention it was dart league night and we had to meet the other team by 8:00 pm.  So...dinner at home was not an option.  We began the "What do you want?" debate with each household member and finally decided on Wendy's for little man and Daddio and Subway for the big kids and myself.

Wendy's.  New flatbread sandwiches - big hit with Daddio!  (Now I can't wait to try one!) Dinner purchased and served!  Next - Subway.  Off we head to one of the local Subway shops.  Now, A's favorite sandwich is...interesting.  Flatbread, egg, turkey, avocado and cucumber.  And she loves it!  And...I must admit...it's pretty good...lol.

Anyway, B and I walk in to the Subway and the very young looking guy behind the counter puts on his gloves and asks what I would like.  I peek over at the veggies to see if they have any egg - and they do.  So I explain that what my daughter wants is not on the menu, but it starts with flatbread and egg.  This is where it gets frustrating...

  • He said, "We don't serve breakfast after 11." (It is at this point about 7:00pm)
  • I said, "Oh, this isn't a breakfast sandwich."
  • He points to a picture of a new sandwich they are advertising with egg on it (some black forest ham thing - I think) and asked, "Are you going to order this?"
  • I said, "No, this is something my daughter come up with on her own.  It's not on the menu."
  • He said, "We don't serve breakfast after 11."
  • I said, "I understand that, but I'm not ordering one of your breakfast sandwiches.  I want a flatbread turkey sandwich with egg on it."
  • He said, "But, we don't serve breakfast after 11."
  • I look at him with my "mother" look and said, "So you are telling me that I can't order a sandwich with egg on it, unless it is that sandwich (pointing at the advertisement) - even though you have it readily available right there (pointing at the egg)?"
  • He said, "Yes, because we don't serve breakfast after 11."
  • I said, "Ok, we'll just go to another Subway that will."
And we walked out.  B said, "Um, mom.  Are we seriously going to another Subway just because he wouldn't give you egg?"  I said, "Absolutely!" and then went on a tirade all the way to another near by location (and missed my exit).  We went in to the new location and walked out 10 minutes later with our sandwiches (egg and all).

Let me be clear - IF Subway stops serving breakfast at 11 and wants to take their breakfast items off of their menu then - I totally respect and understand that!  But to tell me that I can't have egg on my sandwich, because it is too late for breakfast - even though you have egg on your food line a good 8 hours after breakfast hours have ended - is ridiculous.  I will still go to Subway - because we love it!  I will not go to that location.  I should have known not to go to the Subway that is "sandwiched" in between a Church's Chicken and an Exxon Gas Station - all in the same building.  Totally my fault. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment